Dogs Rule My Life

I spend most of my time with dogs and that makes me happy. I love dogs. I love training them, I love hanging out with them, I love throwing the ball all day long for them and I love it when their ears go back and their entire body wags when they are so happy to see that special someone.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tacoma, WA, United States

Monday, December 21, 2009

And the verdict is.....

I have Multiple Sclerosis.

Luckily my brain is unaffected and it's only showing in my lower spine which is why my legs are shaky and I'm having bladder issues. Dr. Copass seems hopeful that we can contain and control it so it shouldn't get much worse than it is. He prescribed some medication for the spasticity in my legs which should also help my bladder. I start taking the meds on Thursday.

MS is a very mysterious disease and many people are affected differently. I'm reading as much as I can about it to make sure that I'm not surprised by any symptoms or treatments that may come up. I am having a spinal tap/lumbar puncture on Thursday morning and then I will know more. There is an MS Clinic at the University of Washington which is where I will be heading for treatments after the first of the year.

I still don't know much about what my future will look like but my spirits are high. All the research I've done shows that MS is a very manageable disease. I WILL however have to quit my dog walking business which is a little sad. It's good money and I get to play outside with dogs all day which, even in the rain and wind, is better than being stuck indoors. I did get a job at my favorite pet store in Fremont where I will be working part-time. I will be able to hand out my business cards and build up my training business which is ultimately what I wanted to do anyway....I just thought I had more time to do it. It will also give me flexibility while I figure out what kind of treatment schedule I will be on.

I've got some big changes coming up in the next few months but I am unafraid. I'm a Coatney, and we Coatneys are fighters ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger Kam said...

Kendra,

Praying for you girl. You are a strong woman, but that doesn't meant that it makes coping with this disease any easier. It's not fair.

Love you
Kam Dill

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home