Dogs Rule My Life

I spend most of my time with dogs and that makes me happy. I love dogs. I love training them, I love hanging out with them, I love throwing the ball all day long for them and I love it when their ears go back and their entire body wags when they are so happy to see that special someone.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tacoma, WA, United States

Friday, June 25, 2010

Acute Relapse


I haven't been posting much lately, for a few reasons.... One, I'm madly in love with Scott and prefer to spend all of my free time with him. Reason two, planning a wedding takes a lot of time and energy! We finally got the invitations done and in the mail (with a few remaining to mail....). And the final reason is because I have been exhausted. My fatigue has been getting worse and just yesterday my fatigue was so bad that I had to hold onto something to stand up for any length of time. My bladder issues came back with a vengeance (which have been under control thanks to some fancy drugs) and my legs were all kinds of crazy spastic yesterday (which were also under control). I called my doctor today and the verdict is that I am in an Acute Relapse and she suggests that I do a steroid infusion three days in a row. This infusion means that I get an IV of corticosteroids, usually Solu-Medrol. The nurse that I spoke with says that it lasts an hour or two. My doctor says that it is only about 30 minutes. The worst side effect can be insomnia but a lot of people also complain about a weird metallic taste in their mouth. Some patients claim that they feel normal, like before they had MS, for up to a couple weeks after their infusions. The nurse wanted me to be able to do it my home but since I am uninsured that could be super expensive so I have to go to the hospital to get it done. I have to say that the UW MS Clinic is extremely expensive (my last visit was over $500) but I love my doctor and the staff there. I was able to speak to my doctor directly today and the nurse has been in touch with me all day trying to get everything straightened out for me. Soon enough I will have insurance and can then get my much needed MRI and hopefully be able to afford all of the medicines that I need. My goal is to entirely change my diet to help manage my discomfort but for now I am getting through one day at a time and working with what we have. At least I get a full weekend with Scott (since I can't work) even if a bulk of it is spent at the hospital in the infusion room.


And here are some shameless plugs:
Dempster Wedding Blog

Wedding Registry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home